Announcing my campaign for re-election
Thank you for the privilege of serving as your Mayor for the past three years. Time sure flies! I have thoroughly enjoyed serving the community and it has been a pleasure to work alongside enthusiastic citizens who want to see Norwalk succeed. We have a great team of energetic leaders and department heads who want nothing but the best for the city. Going into this, I knew success would come from listening to the ideas and desires of the citizens. With their direction, vision, and commitment, we have accomplished a great deal, even during a world-wide pandemic. Having said this, it would be an honor to serve another term as your Mayor. The best is yet to come!
What WE've Accomplished:
Improved City Finances
- Improved city-wide financial responsibility during unpredictable times, including the pandemic, by eliminating excess spending and making policy changes.
- Established a “Fire Truck Capital Project Fund” - capital improvements fund to accumulate funds for the purchase of a new fire truck. – to potentially avoid issuing debt: $750,000 to be accumulated over ten years for the purchase!
- Established a Reserve Balance Account to protect the City against expenses from unforeseen events such as pandemics, emergency hazards or disasters. Can only be spent with Councilmanic action. Current Balance $1.2million!
- Agressively applying for grants to save taxpayer money - We've brought in $10,308,003.00 in grant money since 2020!
Revitalized City Parks
McGuan All-Abilities Park
- Won 2nd place in statewide competition - Ohio Parks and Recreation Association's annual awards of excellence program.
- Contains the largest all-abilities pump track in the U.S.
- Upgraded restrooms to be ADA compliant.
- Total Project Cost: Approx. $450,000 - completely funded by grants and donations.
Suhr Family Park
- Installed Restrooms (the first Uptown public restrooms in over 40 years!)
- Installed 9 water/electric hookups for food trucks.
- Free public splash pad – Thanks to a tremendous partnership with Restore Norwalk and the dozens of donors!
- Repaved the parking lot.
- Coming Fall 2023 – Paul Brown Memorial Statue!
Amphitheater – Coming October 2023 at the Norwalk Memorial Reservoir
- $300k: Funded 100% by an ODNR State Grant!
- Community members will be able to rent the facility for outdoor weddings, etc.
- Grass seating will seat approx. 750 people.
- Will be a great location for concerts, orchestras, etc.
Stokely Park Upgrades
- Funded through a partnership with Huron County Public Health’s Creating Health Communities program.
Upgrades will include:
- New fences
- basketball court
- soccer goal net
- Gaga Ball Pit
- repairs to the existing playground structure
Bicentennial Jaycee Park
- Pickle Ball court improvements – Coming Fall 2023!
- Since 2020 at least four blighted properties were torn down, thanks to Zoning Officer Mitch Loughton and our close partnership with the Huron County Land Bank. Three more properties to be torn down by the end of this year!
- Partnered with Private Investors to get old PIPO factory property cleaned up!
- Improved Rt. 18 entrance into Norwalk – improved visibility to make it safer.
Improving appearance and safety of dilapidated trailer parks and apartment complexes.
- We’ve been working closely with the owners of Key Estates, Newton Terrace, Grand Avenue, Midtown Manor, etc. This has led to 20 unlivable trailers being removed from Key Estates– 15-20 new trailers are planned to be built/placed later this year.
- Partnering with the Master Gardeners to continue to beautify our Uptown District. In the Summer of 2023 four new concrete planters were set in the Main Street corner plots with the anticipation of purchasing more to boost the beautification of the “Living Room of our Community”.
Selling off sections of the railroad right-of-way
We’ve sold 5 pieces of the Wheeling & Lake Erie railroad right-of-way, allowing business with adjoining lots to expand by another 60 feet, assisting in economic development.
- This has allowed Ken Ganley, Firelands Chevrolet, etc. to expand their businesses.
- Allows 2 more businesses access to frontage on U.S. Route 250!
Improved Infrastructure to attract businesses
- Replaced 16” water line from Burger King to Lais Road.
- Installing a 48” sanitary sewer from West Washington all the way to the Wastewater Treatment Plant to address our last two combined sewer overflows mandated by the OEPA.
Emerald Parkway Expansion
- Thanks to the land donation from 2 private landowners, we were able to continue Emerald Parkway, east, to Theatre Drive allowing for more efficient ingress and egress to the Fisher-Titus Surgery Center and Convenient Care. Opens availability for future businesses on the north side of the street.
- Installed new traffic light on Emerald Parkway – leading to safer travel on Rt. 250, and allowing easier exit from Bob Evans, Fisher Titus Urgent Care-care, Same Day Surgery and UEC Norwalk Theatre.
Working Closely/fostering relationships with private investors/business owners
Has led to:
- The cleanup of the old PIPO factory and property has been secured.
- Renovation of Berry’s restaurant
- Continued restoration of old children’s home on Benedict
- Restoration of various historic homes around the city
Increased funding to Norwalk Economic Development Corp.
- Working with NEDC to allow NEDC to apply for infrastructure/Economic development grants on behalf of Norwalk.
Listening to and networking with business owners to help them launch and/or thrive and expand.
- Celebrating expansions and anniversaries, ribbon cuttings, honoring retirees
Community Improvements/Quality of Life Enhancements/Community Outreach
Continuous open door policy for citizens that has resulted in the following:
Electric golf cart for our Master Gardeners to help them keep our Uptown beautiful!
- Funded 100% by NOPEC Grant
- Light Up Norwalk – Norwalk’s Christmas Card to the Community; thousands now attend.
LED Sign – electronic sign provides information to the community (located in Norwalk Municipal Court Parking Lot).
- Funded 100% by NOPEC Grant
- Fireworks Display – no pressure fundraising resulting in largest displays ever.
- Mentoring youths for public service careers
Electric car charging stations
- Funded 100% by NOPEC Grant
- DORA – designated outdoor refreshment area established.
- Implemented Hometown Hero program to honor our veterans!
- Paul Brown Statue – honoring the birthplace of football legend Paul Brown.
- Santa House – new Santa house donated to the City by JDB Home Improvements.
- Addressing Civic Organizations to keep them informed.
- Family Fun Parades – Merged the Annual Pet-n-Pup Parade with the Halloween Parade resulting in many participants celebrating together.
- Completed the 2.03 mile Multi-Use-Path funded by $1,262,000 grant funds provided through ODOT!
We have an amazing team of dedicated employees in place that has resulted in numerous, positive improvements to move Norwalk Forward!